Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Sewing Kit - with a bit of family history~

Hello dear friends! 
So glad you could stop in today.  I have wanted to share this for some time now.
Made (exactly) 2 years ago~
This is my Grandma; my fathers mother~
I have been blessed with several dozen good family photo's; so I try to include them when creating.
This is actually a sewing kit! - that started out as a card.

I was making a card for one of my sisters and she didn't have this particular photo; so I thought I would use it.  This was grandma at 15 years old.  She was a bride's maid in a wedding in 1926  I believe.
Well I was at my sisters house and we needed to sew something; but she had no essentials!!
So when I got home, instead of finishing this as a card, I decided to make it the front cover of a mini sewing kit! It is maybe 7"X5"
 
 
He name was Alberta; but her family called her "Bert" or Bertha from what I gathered.  : )
She was born on a farm in Gagetown, Michigan - 1911.
Both her parents were from Eastern Canada; and both were French. 
I don't know the story of how they made their way to Michigan at the turn of the century,
but I think perhaps my father does.  He has done quite a bit of study~
Alberta's grandparents & greats came over from France to Canada in the mid-1800's
from what we can tell from my fathers genealogy studies.
There were 14 children in her family; but 2 died  young. : (
 
Grandma lost her own mother when she was only 9 years old~
But she did have several older sisters who were able to take care of
the younger ones.
 
Even in her old age, and for as long as I can remember back, Grandma would cry if ever she talked ablut her mother.  She never did get over loosing her so young.  She told us there was sickness in the house (maybe scarlet fever or something quite severe.)  Her mother nursed the children back to health and then died herself from it. 
My My.
I didn't realize what a sad and troubling thing this would be to post~ I just started telling her story! and it lead to this.   But life can be so hard at times. 
Yet, she really was a jolly sort of person to be around : ) She loved the little things in life, and one of her favorite things was to rock us little kids to sleep.  Even 4 & 5 years old - if it was nap time, you could crawl up into grandma's lap and she'd sing and rock till - -z z z z z z z  ; ) !!
And she loved a porch swing!  And she loved the breeze in her face.  Yep~
 
Well, let me tell you a bit more about this mini sewing folder/kit~
The base is a medium canvas; covered on the outside with white burlap.
The inside pockets are made from a vintage brown hanky. 
Since my dear sweet wonderful  : ) sister did not even have a needle or thread!
I simply set her up with the basic essentials. The right pocket is full of small spools.
There are needles, pins (tucked in the rosette)  and scissors tucked in a piece of wide 'twill tape' ; sewn @ points to the back.  On the left side is a box of buttons and misc. stuff.    I included a  measuring tape and a roll of fusible web for quick hemming~
 
All of the sewing I did on this kit was of course done before adding the photo or embellishments to the front.  I added (sewed in to the sides)  2 long strips of twill tape to tie it all together. 
 
I added bits of my favorite lace (which is almost gone! - that's OK; I'll find a new favorite; )
and also some seed and micro beads.
 
 
 
THANK YOU!!!!  For stopping by and meeting Grandma Alberta : )   
and peeking in to see my sisters sewing kit~
We are still in the throws of snow here in central Colorado *sigh*
But it is not surprising : J  And I'm learning to enjoy whatsoever season I'm in.
(well, trying to learn - - more than just 'patience'; but true contentment where I am)
 
Spring comes to us when she is good and ready! 
I mostly say, we don't really have a Spring.  It's the end of Winter with some warm days mixed in; then . . . SUMMER is upon us!
And Summer is my favorite~
Blessings to you all and may God direct each and every day.
Karen
 
 
 

31 comments:

  1. Awe Karen, what a lovely post. I so enjoyed meeting your Grandma Alberta, my she was beautiful at 15.
    Now that sewing kit...Wow, is that ever gorgeous and such a creative idea. I love it! You could sell something like that. :-)
    So nice to visit with you.
    Joy!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, Thanks so so much for stopping in and commenting! I appreciate you friend~ Karen O

      Delete
  2. Oh Karen this is absolutely Gorgeous, what a wonderful picture of your Grandma and it was so interesting hearing about her life. I never knew my grandparents they had all died by the time I was born except for one and he died when I was around 3 so I don't remember much about him at all. Such great memories you have of her, crawling up into her lap, how wonderful that must have been. Your sister will certainly treasure this amazing gift, you have thought of everything for the inside for her to have on hand to do some quick mending. Beautiful embellishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie!! I appreciate hearing from you always; you encourage me dear friend. The sewing kit was so fun to make~ Karen O

      Delete
  3. Dear Karen, I so enjoyed meeting your grandma Alberta, too,-she has been a lovely and wonderful woman. She looks so beautiful, in the old photo. and you turned the front of the sewing kit into a work of art, dear.Lovely with the micro beads , the key and seambindings. Such a wonderful gift for your sister, now having ,what she need for small reparations.
    Karen ,I love all the stories about your family, and your beautiful creations, gives me inspiration, and the feel to create more, myself,too. Thank you , dear friend.
    Sending you a big hug- and love
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear friend Dorthe, I love to hear from you! and I thank you for stopping in to see the sewing kit I made~ You are an encouraging friend; and I appreciate your comments always! Bless you & please enjoy your week-end~ Karen O

      Delete
  4. What a lovely creation you've made and it was very interesting reading about your grandmother. She was beautiful at 15. Your sister will love this and think of you and your grandmother whenever she uses it.

    FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Lorraine! Thanks ever-so-much for stopping in to see my sewing kit and read a bit about 'grandma' : ) I always appreciate your visits~ Blessings, Karen O

      Delete
  5. Hi Karen, what an incredible story of your dear grandmother. She was a beautiful lady. The sewing kit you created and designed using her lovely young photo is so very special. What a talent you are and have special memories that inspire you to create. You sure inspire me greatly and I have so enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing. Blessings. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celeste you are a peach! and I thank you for stopping in to see the sewing kit and read a bit about my grandma~ It is great to have friends like you - who encourage and inspire me~ Have a wonderful week-end! Karen O

      Delete
  6. Hello Karen. I love historical stories about people in lovely photos, and this one is really wonderful. Your grandmother was beautiful and quite remarkable. Thanks so much for sharing this post and the beautiful sewing kit. What a wonderful gift you gave your sister. Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, I'm with you. I like to read the stories of people in old photo's; find out a bit about who they are and where they came from. My Grandma survived during difficult times and still retained lots of love and dedication to her family~ Glad you enjoyed the sewing kit! it was made with love : ) Have a nice week-end. I'm guessing you may be working outside? I need to get busy out back! ~Karen O

      Delete
  7. Hello Dear Karen, I love your Grandma's hat. She's so beautiful, and her story has some sadness, but she sounds like a strong person who made the most of her life. Rocking children to sleep must have brought her some deep healing, I hope. I enjoyed your story about her and I love the sewing kit. Your sister must feel very loved. Have a beautiful week, despite the snow.
    Hugs,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesse! You know, grandma's hat was the first thing I noticed when I saw this photo! I loved it too~
      How classic ; )
      Thanks so much for taking time to visit and peek in to see the sewing kit~ Are you in full winter yet? We are warming up this week-end after lots of cold weather. Hugs to you, Karen

      Delete
  8. Dear Karen,
    what a pleasure meeting your Grandma. She sure was a beauty. Your sister must have been thrilled to receive your gorgeous sewing kit.
    Such a work of art and so precious. Thank you for sharing her story.
    Have a lovely day.
    Sending hugs and love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Marie, And thank you! for taking time to stop in and see the sewing kit I made - with Grandma's story attached! : ) LOL Although I am still having lots of . . . trouble? getting mojo back so I can create something 'new', I do have things from the past to share; that were a pleasure to create~ Have a lovely week-end dear friend, Karen

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen. What a lovely post. I so enjoyed reading your Grandma's story and, judging from the photo, she was a beautiful young lady. The little sewing kit you created for your sister is absolutely beautiful and I am sure she will treasure it. Thank you for sharing and enjoy the rest of your week. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Margaret~ I sincerely Thank You!! for stopping by to see the sewing kit and read a bit about my dear grandma : ) I appreciate your kindness and comments always~ And I appreciate your creativity too! Love to see your work~ Take care and have a nice week-end. Blessings, Karen

      Delete
  10. You blow me away, another gorgeous project. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto friend!! : ) Thanks for the encouraging comments always Connie~ Hugs to U - Karen

      Delete
  11. OMG what a wonderful project, love all details. Wish you a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pia!! It is a blessing to me whenever you stop by!! Karen

      Delete
  12. Hallo Karen, diese kleine Nähtäschchen mit Deiner Oma ist ja großartig geworden. Ich liebe dieses Werk, wie alle Deine Ideen. Wirklich ganz ganz reizend! GLG sagt Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Sylvia !! Sie sind ermutigend für mich! Eine schöne Woche ~ Karen

      Delete
  13. A wonderful artwork and a hearttouching family history...
    We have snow here today too, in Germany
    Have a great spring soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mascha! How nice to see your visit and comment. Snow still in Germany!? *sigh* Spring, where are you? : ) have a nice week, Karen

      Delete
  14. I missed your gorgeous creation and post! It is just breathtaking! Love, love, love it! Your Grandmother was a beautiful lady and the story straight from the heart. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy~ Thanks so much for the visit! I kind of hoped you would see this one; because it was my Michigan grandma! : ) LOL Born in Gagetown on a farm & raised her kids in Detroit area; where I was also partly raised.
      Have a great week and thanks again for the visit! Love your work~ Karen

      Delete
  15. Hi Karen, what a lovely collage and beautiful way to honor your grandmother. That picture of her is divine, OH THAT HAT! hugs and JOY, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous project.Lovely sentiment with photo of your grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Snow??? Okay, I have nothing to complain about. Except maybe that I don't have a talented relative like you! Haha! Your beautiful little sewing kit is a work of art. Not the least of which is that adorable photo. I just love the candid, romantic, and serious nature of old photos. What a wonderful hat! I was seriously musing yesterday about what our ancestors would have had good reason to complain about in their daily lives, and you have well addressed that. We have traffic, amd crazy politics, but we get to keep our mothers longer as a general rule. Such a nice post. And so lovely to have a visit from you.

    ReplyDelete